Thursday, January 21, 2010

Standing on Their Shoulders

As I sit in my office looking at my bookshelves, I cannot help but think of the rich heritage that I am a part of as a Christian. Names like Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Moody, Graham, Bonhoeffer, and C. S. Lewis stare back at me. Just seeing their names alone remind me of who I am and who I long to be. It seems somewhat strange to say this, but find myself at the same time both inspired and intimidated by these people who knew God so well and lived single-mindedly for Him. I am inspired by these heroes of mine because they made themselves fully available to God. Fortunately not all of them were extremely academic, cultured, socially connected, or even possessed a blameless past, yet what they all hold in common was a willingness to surrender themselves wholly to God. Listen to their passion:

"For Thou hast made us for Thyself and our hearts are restless till they rest in Thee" (Augustine).

Martin Luther prayed, "I am Yours" as he wrestled with the implications of his new understanding of the Gospel and what that meant for the church.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer said, "When Christ calls a man He bids him to come and die."

D. L. Moody was shaped by the statement that he often repeated, "The world has yet to see what God can do with and for and through and in a man who is fully and wholly consecrated to Him."

These people wholly offered themselves to God to do whatever He wanted of them regardless of the cost. Luther was condemned as a heretic, Calvin was kicked out of his own church, Bonhoeffer was killed in a WWII concentration camp. Each of them were ridiculed for their obedience, but persevered nonetheless. And as a result of their obedience, their influence continues to this day. Their legacy continues to speak.

With all of this being said, I have to ask myself, am I learning from and emulating their example? Am I willing to answer the call for this generation by making myself wholly devoted to God? Will I stay the course when I am attacked or ridiculed for my obedience? To quote my one of my heroes Martin Luther, "God help me. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment