Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Taking the Time to Listen

I have always half-jokingly told people that I struggle with patience because I'm from Chicago. I hate going slow (especially in the car) in anything! Yet this lack of patience transcends the time I spend waiting in line at stores or sitting in parking lots known as our Chicago highways, it also effects my relationship with God. I struggle being still before Him. Listening to His voice. Waiting for His direction. Being in silence.

In Henri Nouwen's book, "In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership" he says, "God is a God of the present and reveals to those who are willing to listen carefully to the moment in which they live the steps they are to take toward the future." After reading this, I paused and asked myself, "What does God want to say to me that I'm not taking the time to listen to?" To be perfectly honest, this is a question that I'm still asking. With all the craziness of the Christmas season, I have yet to seriously entertain this question. I know that I need it, but keep filling my schedule with so much that I can't "schedule" Him in for more than our usual allotted time.

I don't know if this is true of where you are at, but it is for me. I so desperately long to be used by God to do something big for Him, yet too often forget that He is far more concerned about doing something big in me! I'm planning on breaking away this week to listen. I encourage you to do the same. To be still and let Him speak.

I'd really appreciate it if you'd ask me if I did break away to listen the next time you see me and post your own struggles/successes of how God is speaking to you during your "quiet" times.

No comments:

Post a Comment